Cannabis and hemp oil tinctures are liquid herbal oils that are made by extracting the active constituents of the plant. These tinctures have many beneficial medicinal effects on the human body.
Tincture: The Highlights
- A tincture is a centuries-old natural plant supplement that is made using medicinal plants and an extraction solvent.
- CBD and cannabis tinctures can relieve many symptoms of a disease, reduce chronic pain, relieve anxiety, and many other health ailment symptoms.
- A CBD tincture is different from a THC tincture in that it is made from a hemp strain of the Cannabis Sativa plant, which is extremely low in the psychoactive THC while still containing the terpenes, flavonoids, and cannabinoids needed for symptom relief.
- Using a tincture works best when used sublingually, which allows for fast absorption and quick symptom relief.
- Making a DIY tincture only involves a few steps and is easy, although it does require time to properly extract the cannabinoids and terpenes from the cannabis flower.
What is a Tincture?
A tincture is a liquid form of cannabis that is extracted from hemp or marijuana plants. The solvent absorbs the medicinal components of the flower or plant and can then be administered as liquid medicine.
A tincture is a great way to take natural medicine because it absorbs quickly into the bloodstream. The liquid bypasses the digestive system and is immediately absorbed, giving quick and effective symptom relief.
Natural plant tinctures have been used for centuries for therapeutic and medicinal purposes. The most popular form of tincture used in the 1800s and early 1900s, before it became prohibited as an illegal substance, is the cannabis or hemp tincture.
The reason the cannabis tincture was so popular was that, not only was it easy to make but it also effectively eased symptoms of almost any type of health ailment.
Much of North America, Europe, and the United Kingdom used these cannabis tinctures to treat anything from a toothache to the symptoms of deadly diseases.
Different Tinctures Extracted From Cannabis And Hemp
Although all three of the following types of cannabis tinctures contain the essential therapeutic compounds such as flavonoids, terpenes, and cannabinoids, there is a difference between cannabis and hemp tinctures.
A cannabis tincture’s oil is derived from the Cannabis Sativa plant that produces high THC content. It contains all of the therapeutic compounds mentioned above while also containing THC, which gives a person the famous marijuana high.
These oils are only sold in states where either medical cannabis or recreational cannabis are legal because, in many states, marijuana is still illegal.
A marijuana tincture is the same thing as a cannabis tincture. The words cannabis and marijuana are used interchangeably. Both refer to the cannabis plant which is made into consumable high-THC cannabis products that give both a psychoactive high and strong therapeutic relief.
CBD tinctures are made using the cannabis Sativa hemp plant, which is a different strain from the marijuana Sativa plant. Hemp extract contains only trace amounts of THC while still having an abundance of terpenes, CBD and other cannabinoids.
Therefore, A CBD tincture is still able to give considerable pain relief and other highly potent medicinal effects without the THC-induced psychoactive high.
How To Use A Tincture
A tincture works best when you use it sublingually. Sublingual absorption works by placing the tincture liquid under the tongue. The membranes under the tongue quickly absorb the liquid, which then enters the bloodstream, thus bypassing the digestive system which would delay medicinal relief.
If new to the tincture world, it is best to start with a single one-milliliter dose and then work your way up if the relief isn’t substantial enough.
Tincture bottles usually come with a pre-measured one-milliliter glass dropper. This dropper, when squeezed from the top handle, will measure out roughly a one-milliliter dose. If you do not purchase a hemp or cannabis tincture that comes with a built-in dropper, you can use an eye dropper.
Dosage strengths differ, depending on the person and their medical need. Some may need a stronger milligram dosage per serving if treating chronic pain.
But again, if new to tinctures, make sure to start off with a mild strength to avoid any adverse psychoactive effects. CBD tinctures are a great choice for anyone who wishes to receive hemp oil’s effective medicinal relief without the psychoactive effects that THC produces.
To allow the sublingual process to take place, follow these instructions:
- Unscrew the lid to the tincture bottle. The lid will have the dropper attached to it. Before lifting the dropper out of the bottle, squeeze the top of the lid. This will allow the oil to be pulled into the dropper. Try your best to measure out exactly one-milliliter. Pulling the dropper out of the bottle completely, open your mouth and place the dropper under your tongue while continuing to hold your mouth open.
- Squeeze the top of the dropper and the liquid will be released into your mouth.
- Holding the liquid under the tongue, close your mouth and allow the liquid to sit there for at least one minute, although several minutes allows for optimal absorption.
- Repeat this process if needing more than one dropper-full.
If you do not like the taste of a cannabis or hemp oil tincture, you can buy a flavored version or mask the taste in your favorite food or beverage.
There are many benefits of using a tincture. These include:
- A smokeless way to consume cannabis or hemp oil in comparison with smoking.
- A precisely measured supplement.
- The convenience of taking it privately without nosy neighbors knowing.
- A low-calorie option in comparison to edibles which tend to contain more calories.
- A long shelf-life making it a no-rush product.
- A great addition to your food or drink.
- It makes a great topical for painful joints, sore muscles, and localized areas that have chronic inflammation.
- It is great for such things as anxiety or muscle spasms.
- It can give people a more restful sleep.
The Advantage Of Using A Tincture
Both CBD and cannabis tinctures have many benefits to offer including ease of use, swift effects, potent pain management, and disease symptom management.
If you are tired of toxic medications and desire a potent and effective natural remedy for your health ailments, tinctures are the perfect plant medicine to help you ditch your traditional medications and start feeling better naturally.
Last Updated on