Hemp Oil for Anxiety
According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA), there are around 40 million American adults suffering from some form of anxiety. That equates to approximately one in every five people. While there are various traditional treatments available for anxiety, including self-help techniques, medication, and therapy, not all of them work for everyone. So, instead, anxiety sufferers have been turning to hemp oil for help.
What is anxiety?
Anxiety is the feeling we get when we’re worried, nervous or tense. It’s a natural human response that occurs whenever we feel threatened. Anxiety can affect people in different ways. However, typically those suffering from anxiety will experience one or more of the following symptoms: panic, fear, cold sweats, dry mouth, nausea, and difficulty in sleeping. While it’s perfectly normal to experience feelings of anxiety every now and then, it’s not a feeling you should be experiencing regularly. If you do then you may be suffering from some form of anxiety disorder. But, don’t worry, as it is extremely common and there plenty of treatment options available these days for dealing with anxiety. One anxiety treatment option that’s been hitting the headlines just recently is hemp oil.
What is hemp oil?
Hemp oil is derived directly from hemp seeds, whereas medical marijuana and cannabis oil (cannabidiol CBD oil) come from the cannabis plant. It goes through an extensive manufacturing process that involves cleaning the seeds before pressing them into the oil. Most hemp seed oil is made from low-level tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) varieties of cannabis. THC is the psychoactive ingredient found in cannabis. By ensuring THC levels are as low as possible, users can still reap the benefits of hemp oil without the risk of getting high.
Why is hemp oil so effective in treating anxiety?
Because hemp oil is derived directly from the plant, in its raw form, it is pretty potent. Typically, it’s produced using hemp that’s high in cannabidiol (CBD) but low in THC.
One of the reasons why it’s so effective in treating anxiety disorders, such as post-traumatic stress disorder, social anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, is that it’s very high in Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. These compounds are well known for easing a person’s anxiety. As well as being high in Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, hemp oil also contains significant amounts of phytocannabinoids and terpenes which can also have a positive impact on the neurological system which directly affects anxiety and depression.
What’s the best way to take hemp oil?
There are various ways that people get their daily hemp oil intake. It may take a while to find the method that works best for you as everyone is different. While some people prefer to use it directly through a tincture or capsule, others are a little more reserved and are more comfortable using a spray or topical. There’s no right or wrong way. Much of it is down to personal preference. One thing to note when buying hemp oil is that if you’re looking for a strong dose you’ll want to opt for either the tincture or capsules. Most sprays and topicals contain minimal CBD levels, so you would most likely need to use a lot more to achieve the same effect. Edibles are another option for getting a daily dose of hemp oil. Many manufacturers are starting to produce hemp oil products as people are waking up to the great benefits of it. One popular form of an edible hemp oil product is gummy bears.
Hemp Oil Dosage For Anxiety
When trying to benefit from CBD’s action on relieving anxiety, you need to choose a hemp oil that supplies at least 25 mg CBD. This is because the recommended hemp oil dosage for anxiety is 25 mg taken twice daily, and increased every four weeks by 25 mg until symptoms noticeably improve.
It is important to select a product with a very low THC rating, as this psychoactive component can induce anxiety attacks, while CBD counteracts it.
Now that you know the basics about what hemp oil is and how it can help anxiety sufferers we’ll share with you some of the most frequently asked questions and answers surrounding the intake of hemp oil:
- How fast does hemp oil work? This will largely depend on your method for taking it. If using a tincture you should feel the effects of the hemp oil almost immediately as it soaks straight into the bloodstream. If using hemp oil capsules it may take slightly longer to feel the effects as the capsule needs to dissolve first. The time it takes for topicals to work will vary depending on their application and strength. Using edibles to get your dose of hemp oil is the slowest working form as the food will need to be digested first.
- Are there any negative side effects from using hemp oil to be aware of? As with any form of treatment, there are some side effects that people have reported when using hemp oil. Typically, these can include stomach upset, nausea, headaches, drowsiness, and headaches. In some severe cases, users have reported of abnormal blood clotting, cardiovascular problems and the regeneration of tumors. Although these only affect a small portion of users, it is best to be aware that they do exist.
- What’s the best way to store hemp oil? Hemp oil should always be stored in a cool, dark place as it is extremely sensitive to light and heat. Keeping it cool will help to preserve the natural CBD content. Typically, hemp oil has a shelf life of around 14 months if stored correctly. Anything longer and it will start to lose its effectiveness.
- Is hemp oil legal? It’s been a bit of a gray area over the past few years, but in most states, hemp oil is fully legal to buy and consume. In the United States, the law says that any CBD derived from hemp is classified as a dietary supplement and, therefore, is exempt from the Federal Controlled Substance Act.
- Do I need a medical card to be able to buy hemp oil? No. Because hemp oil is considered to be a dietary supplement there is no requirement to have a doctor’s recommendation to buy it. There are many companies online that will be happy to ship it directly to your front door, no questions asked.
- Do you have a recommended hemp oil? There are lots of good options available. Two of our favorite hemp oils for anxiety are below.
Other recommended hemp oil brands
Endoca Hemp Oil (3% CBD)
Endocr hemp oil is made from hemp plants grown outdoors in the fields of Barcelona, Spain. Standardized to contain 3% CBD, it has undergone decarboxylation to provide active CBD upon consumption.
Each drop of Endoca hemp oil supplies 1mg CBD, with each bottle having 100 servings (drops). Endoca hemp oil also contains additional terpenes that give it the much desired “entourage effect”, which is an amplification of its beneficial actions from the synergistic effect of the naturally occurring compounds.
CBD Pure Hemp Oil
If you are new to the world of consuming hemp oil for its CBD effects on health, CBD pure hemp oil is the go-to brand for many persons.
Made from hemp grown in Denmark, it is a full-spectrum oil which contains cannabinoids in addition to terpenes, helping to deliver the aforementioned entourage effect. It comes in three strengths, 100mg, 300mg, and 600mg.
Extracted using industry-standard CO2 methods, the company has done a good job of removing plant remnants such as chlorophyll as indicated by its golden color.
Populum Full-Spectrum Hemp Oil
Made from hemp plants grown domestically in Colorado, Populum full-spectrum hemp oil gains points on this front. The plants are non-GMO, meaning that they have not been modified in any manner, helping ensure safety and your peace of mind.
Surprisingly, in contrast to many other commercially available hemp oils, Populum’s full-spectrum product comes in a subtle orange flavor, a huge selling point for persons that dislike the classically earthy taste that most hemp oils are known for.
Populum also offers a risk-free 30 days trial for you to decide if your product is right for you, another great selling point in which explains why the product is so well received.
Real Scientific Hemp Oil [RSHO]
Real scientific hemp oil [RSHO] is one of the most popular brands in the world, containing a full-spectrum hemp extract which includes CBD, other cannabinoids and terpenes for synergistic action.
Contains decarboxylated CBD which is active in the body upon consumption, each bottle contains 1000 mg CBD.
It comes with medium chain triglycerides as a base and is non-GMO and non-psychoactive. Real Scientific shares a great relationship with servicemen from all walks of life, including first responders, military and law enforcement, who all qualify for 15% discounts on products.
Better than traditional treatments?
Using hemp oil to ease anxiety is a great natural alternative to some of the more traditional-based treatments around. And the great thing about hemp oil is that if it’s going to work, it will do so pretty much straight away. So, if you are suffering from anxiety don’t despair. Instead, give hemp oil a go. It really could be the answer to all your problems.