Hemp Oil for Anxiety
According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA), there are around 40 million American adults suffering from some form of anxiety. That equates to approximately one in every five people. While there are various traditional treatments available for anxiety, including self-help techniques, medication, and therapy, not all of them work for everyone. So, instead, anxiety sufferers have been turning to hemp oil for help.
What is anxiety?
Anxiety is the feeling we get when we’re worried, nervous or tense. It’s a natural human response that occurs whenever we feel threatened. Anxiety can affect people in different ways. However, typically those suffering from anxiety will experience one or more of the following symptoms: panic, fear, cold sweats, dry mouth, nausea, and difficulty in sleeping. While it’s perfectly normal to experience feelings of anxiety every now and then, it’s not a feeling you should be experiencing regularly. If you do then you may be suffering from some form of anxiety disorder. But, don’t worry, as it is extremely common and there plenty of treatment options available these days for dealing with anxiety. One anxiety treatment option that’s been hitting the headlines just recently is hemp oil.
What is hemp oil?
Hemp oil is derived directly from hemp seeds, whereas medical marijuana and cannabis oil (cannabidiol CBD oil) come from the cannabis plant. It goes through an extensive manufacturing process that involves cleaning the seeds before pressing them into the oil. Most hemp seed oil is made from low-level tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) varieties of cannabis. THC is the psychoactive ingredient found in cannabis. By ensuring THC levels are as low as possible, users can still reap the benefits of hemp oil without the risk of getting high.
Why is hemp oil so effective in treating anxiety?
Because hemp oil is derived directly from the plant, in its raw form, it is pretty potent. Typically, it’s produced using hemp that’s high in cannabidiol (CBD) but low in THC.
One of the reasons why it’s so effective in treating anxiety disorders, such as post-traumatic stress disorder, social anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, is that it’s very high in Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. These compounds are well known for easing a person’s anxiety. As well as being high in Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, hemp oil also contains significant amounts of phytocannabinoids and terpenes which can also have a positive impact on the neurological system which directly affects anxiety and depression.
What’s the best way to take hemp oil?
There are various ways that people get their daily hemp oil intake. It may take a while to find the method that works best for you as everyone is different. While some people prefer to use it directly through a tincture or capsule, others are a little more reserved and are more comfortable using a spray or topical. There’s no right or wrong way. Much of it is down to personal preference. One thing to note when buying hemp oil is that if you’re looking for a strong dose you’ll want to opt for either the tincture or capsules. Most sprays and topicals contain minimal CBD levels, so you would most likely need to use a lot more to achieve the same effect. Edibles are another option for getting a daily dose of hemp oil. Many manufacturers are starting to produce hemp oil products as people are waking up to the great benefits of it. One popular form of an edible hemp oil product is gummy bears.
Now that you know the basics about what hemp oil is and how it can help anxiety sufferers we’ll share with you some of the most frequently asked questions and answers surrounding the intake of hemp oil:
- How fast does hemp oil work? This will largely depend on your method for taking it. If using a tincture you should feel the effects of the hemp oil almost immediately as it soaks straight into the bloodstream. If using hemp oil capsules it may take slightly longer to feel the effects as the capsule needs to dissolve first. The time it takes for topicals to work will vary depending on their application and strength. Using edibles to get your dose of hemp oil is the slowest working form as the food will need to be digested first.
- Are there any negative side effects from using hemp oil to be aware of? As with any form of treatment, there are some side effects that people have reported when using hemp oil. Typically, these can include stomach upset, nausea, headaches, drowsiness, and headaches. In some severe cases, users have reported of abnormal blood clotting, cardiovascular problems and the regeneration of tumors. Although these only affect a small portion of users, it is best to be aware that they do exist.
- What’s the best way to store hemp oil? Hemp oil should always be stored in a cool, dark place as it is extremely sensitive to light and heat. Keeping it cool will help to preserve the natural CBD content. Typically, hemp oil has a shelf life of around 14 months if stored correctly. Anything longer and it will start to lose its effectiveness.
- Is hemp oil legal? It’s been a bit of a gray area over the past few years, but in most states, hemp oil is fully legal to buy and consume. In the United States, the law says that any CBD derived from hemp is classified as a dietary supplement and, therefore, is exempt from the Federal Controlled Substance Act.
- Do I need a medical card to be able to buy hemp oil? No. Because hemp oil is considered to be a dietary supplement there is no requirement to have a doctor’s recommendation to buy it. There are many companies online that will be happy to ship it directly to your front door, no questions asked.
Using hemp oil to ease anxiety is a great natural alternative to some of the more traditional-based treatments around. And the great thing about hemp oil is that if it’s going to work, it will do so pretty much straight away. So, if you are suffering from anxiety don’t despair. Instead, give hemp oil a go. It really could be the answer to all your problems.