CBD Oil and Anti-Aging: CBD Has Joined the War on Wrinkles
Aging is inevitable. However, the way we age and how we look as we do can be affected by many factors. New research and information offer hope that the natural substance, CBD Oil, will help slow the visible signs of aging on our bodies.
CBD Oil and Anti-Aging: Key Takeaways
- The human body has an Endocannabinoid system and makes its own naturally occurring Cannabidiol in small amounts.
- CBD protects our cells from the oxidation process, which is a factor in aging
- The process of aging includes the skin’s decreased ability to manufacture healthy oils which causes us to look older. CBD oils have shown to have both protective and reparative properties as it relates to skin and aging.
- CBD naturally contains many ingredients to fight aging such as B-complex vitamins, Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, and Vitamins C and E.
- Acne can cause the skin to age prematurely when treated with harsh chemicals. CBD is anti-inflammatory and reduces the overproduction of sebum that clogs pores giving the skin a better chance to stay healthy and beautiful longer.
CBD Oil: A Newly Proven Anti-Aging Ingredient
Lately, you’ve probably heard a lot about CBD Oil in the news and on social media. It would be easy to assume that this is just another health kick or fad. However, the research has been ongoing since the 1940s.
The latest findings are causing such a stir because as more is discovered about this natural product more possibilities for everyday uses are realized. One of the newer realizations is that through natural processes, CBD can positively impact the effects of aging both inside and outside our bodies.
What is CBD?
CBD is the short form of the name Cannabidiol. Cannabidiol is one of many compounds in Cannabis plants.
Hemp had many uses historically and was cultivated for non-drug use for years until 1970 when The Controlled Substances Act imposed strict regulations on cultivation and declared hemp as an illegal drug along with its cousin Marijuana.
CBD from hemp, however, has a very low chemical makeup of THC, less than 0.3 percent, and has no psychoactive properties.
In a 2017 World Health Organization report from the Expert Committee on Drug Dependence in Geneva findings state that:
“In humans, CBD exhibits no effects indicative of any abuse or dependence potential.”
The report further explains the many benefits of CBD for medical conditions according to their studies and states that:
“CBD is generally well tolerated with a good safety profile. Reported adverse effects may be as a result of drug-drug interactions between CBD and patients’ existing medications”.
Moreover, the WHO adds at the end of page 4 that:
“To date, there is no evidence of public health-related problems associated with the use of pure CBD.”
How CBD Affects the Body
The human body is hardwired for the use of cannabinoid. In 1992, doctors at The Hebrew University in Jerusalem discovered that we have a biological system called The Endocannabinoid System.
The human body has naturally occurring endocannabinoids which are essential for homeostasis or internal stability.
Our immune system and our brain produce the cannabinoids. We have receptors in our body known as CB1 receptors which are found in the Central Nervous System and CB2 receptors which are located in the Peripheral Nervous System.
The ECS or Endocannabinoid system is one of the body’s neurotransmitter networks, and it helps regulate your body’s environment. CBD oil will typically bind with the CB2 receptor. The ECS communicates to cells to inhibit rather than excite immune response, reduce inflammation, relax muscles, lower blood pressure, and normalize stimulated nerves.
It helps your body not to become too overstimulated. When applied topically CBD oil never reaches the bloodstream, but it can be absorbed through the skin’s surface to interact with nearby cannabinoid receptors.
The Sign of Aging
Every living thing ages, whether plant or animal, due to many internal and external factors. As humans age, our bodies change according to environmental factors such as pollutants and genetic factors such as disease as well as how we react to these circumstances.
It’s a sad fact of nature that after about 20 years, our skin begins its decline. At about age 20, we begin the process of losing about 1 percent of our collagen per year. As a result of this regression, our skin begins to lose elasticity and becomes gradually drier and thinner.
It is at this age that it becomes harder to fight the effects of environmental factors such as pollution, smoking, and excess sun exposure as well as lifestyle choices such as drinking and use of chemicals; the result of all of these factors is wrinkles.
Like most things that occur in nature, wrinkles cannot be avoided but can be managed, and CBD is one way to repair and protect your skin.
As with wrinkles, discoloration of the skin happens both intrinsically and extrinsically. The skin is a multilayered organ. As those layers change over the course of our lifetime the individual elements such as cells, proteins, and pigments can become damaged or altered in some way.
The skin also becomes thinner as time goes on and the number of melanocytes reduces as well resulting in the appearance of uneven skin tones, pooling of remaining pigment called “age spots,” and an increase in pore size and appearance.
Fine lines naturally occur due to the decrease in collagen production but with skin protectants and a healthy skin care routine using quality products, these fine lines can be tamed.
Loss of Elasticity
Another sign of aging is the elasticity of our skin or more precisely, the loss of that elasticity. Because collagen and elastin production begins to decline as we age our skin can start to appear a bit saggy.
This appearance is worsened by the loss of the layer of fat between your muscle and skin as you age and the thinning of the outer layer of your skin, the epidermis.
Loss of Hydration
Our skin has three layers, and as we’ve discussed, aging can naturally wreak havoc on this organ. The middle layer, which is the dermis, contains our sweat glands. When these begin to age, they produce less oil and can result in dry, flaky, and itchy skin.
How Can CBD Help Fight the Signs of Aging?
CBD contains anti-aging properties and vitamins. It moisturizes the skin by replacing or preserving moisture, depending on the blend and the usage. CBD also has a higher concentration of antioxidant compounds than both vitamin C and vitamin E which help slow the process of oxidation in the body.
In addition to these, CBD has anti-inflammatory properties which decrease redness and inflammation and cause the skin to appear aged and unhealthy.
What Science Says about CBD and Aging
Cannabinoids were first discovered in the 1940s. As this research continued, it was found that humans have cannabinoid CB1 and CB2 receptors and that we make the cannabinoid receptor proteins. It was further found that CBD might have therapeutic properties for the treatment of diseases related to aging and otherwise.
Though CBD has no psychoactive properties it has been shown to be effective on the treatment of pain, anxiety, inflammation, and illness all of which cause the appearance of aging when experienced. Common sense caused our ancestors to use medicinal herbs and science finally caught up.
The anti-oxidant properties of CBD reduce the number of free radicals that damage the skin and CBD also has anti-inflammatory properties as described earlier which help to reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
5 of the Best CBD Products to Fight Signs of Aging
- Apothecanna Everyday Face and Body Oil – This blend of several natural plant ingredients naturally and luxuriously combats fine lines and wrinkles. It is both preventative and restorative and appeals to the senses with its multi-tonal fragrance and its creamy, silky texture. For topical use only, this oil can be used on your whole body, your hair, and your face even if you have sensitive skin.
- Jeffrey James Botanicals Glow Oil – This rich blend of organic botanical oils soothes your skin and awakens your senses with its captivating fragrance. Penetrating Jojoba oil reduces the appearance of pores while invigorating, toning, and hydrating your skin for an allover feeling of youth.
- Khus + Khus Sen Face Serum – Another blend that pampers your senses. This face serum not only tames an acne outbreak with just the right combination of soothing oils and botanicals but it also helps to relieve dry skin and the fine lines associated with aging. This all-natural botanical based serum is regenerative, restorative, and therapeutic.
- From Ever Since Contour Serum – A blend of herbaceous plant and fruit extracts this product has a lifting and contouring effect that is perfect for any woman or man who wants to look and feel their best. Tightening and smoothing properties improve fatigued skin.
- Cannabidiol Life – CBD Anti-Aging Facial Serum – Combining all organic oils and extracts such as frankincense, sandalwood, tamanu this rich serum reduces inflammation, has antibacterial properties and makes a face, skin, and hair look and feel hydrated and youthful.
Trying CBD Oil Could Aid Your Skin’s Health
While there is so much more to learn about CBD and all of the benefits of this natural and versatile product, what we know so far is compelling.
This safe and natural product can help you to look and feel better about yourself as you live your life. Growing older and experiencing a rich and full life is a gift; doing it while you look and feel your best is an even better gift.